June 23, 2010

Band Names


 My husband and I have satellite radio in one of our cars and I must say I am a big fan.  Not only do we have access to tons of music that’s not available on normal radio but we get the track and band names for every song that’s played.  It’s a great way to discover new artists and provides ample entertainment (we play ‘Name That Tune’ all the time).  The thing we notice is how many random band names there are.  I would love to know the story behind some of these names and how in the world they come up with them.  Is it just something that they thought sounded cool?  Is there a story behind the name?  Maybe it’s an inside joke that we aren’t in on?  Fascinating!  I told my husband he should write a book about how bands come up with their names – that is definitely something I would read.  Death Cab For Cutie?  Modest Mouse?  Foo Fighters?  The Beatles?  Got you thinking didn’t I…