October 29, 2010

Spiced Scents

For some reason when it starts to get cold outside I want my house to smell like spiced pumpkin or apple cider.  Last year I made a big pot of wassel just so I could simmer it everyday and make my house smell warm and cozy.  These scents make me happy and give the impression that I’m cooking some great, spiced treat.  I like to fool my visitors into thinking that I’m cooking – wow, that’s sad.  Last year I bought a “stick wick” candle, it has a wooden stick and sounds like a crackling fire when it burns, it’s fun until you’re home alone and you hear this quiet crackle and can’t figure out where it’s coming from.  I love William-Sonoma’s spiced candles and soaps but remember that although they will give the impression of freshly cooked goods nothing replaces the smell of actual fresh-out-of-the-oven treats (sometimes we just prefer the easy candle).