August 24, 2010

“Conundrum”


Rarely, but sometimes, I like to use big words.  At these times my husband likes to give me a surprised look as if saying he is amused and a little impressed by the use of my big word.  Lately I’ve been enjoying the word ‘conundrum.’ 

co·nun·drum  [kuh-nuhn-druhm]

noun (pl. -drums)
A confusing and difficult problem or question: one of the most difficult conundrums for the experts.
  • A question asked for amusement, typically one with a pun in its answer; a riddle.
ORGIN late 16th century of unknown origin, but first recorded in work by Thomas Nashe, as a term of abuse for a crank or pedant, later coming to denote a whim or fancy, also a pun.  Current senses date from the late 17th century.


Savethewords.org is an amusing website dedicated to saving words that are dropped from the English language each year because they are no longer in use.  Check it out and try using some of those big words in a conversation, I am positive it will get a response.